Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Excerpt from the NYT:

 " “A country the size of the U.S. is almost never hot everywhere, all at once,” said Dr. Trenberth. The most significant thing about the NOAA climate report is that it tells of so many all-time records for heat being broken, he said, adding, how hot it is on a given day is not as important as the historical records that are being consistently broken [this year]."  "

It would appear to me that anthropogenic global warming is underway full force. My attention will be to the arctic permafrost and the gas hydrates frozen in the arctic sea bed. One positive economic benefit is that oil-from-tar sand, courtesy of your Canadian government's friendliness to the industry, will become cheaper as it will take fractionally less energy to melt through the filthy stuff. This industry, emitting alarming amounts of carbon right at the weakest point in the system, may have a measurable impact in the near future on the thawing of the north. The conventional science points to the movement of carbon-laden gases through the atmosphere as having important effects on climate, so I can't imagine this point-source pollution right in the vulnerable arctic can be a positive activity in regards to climate change mitigation.

Something I've been trying to remain conscious of, myself, is how much I'm running the AC. Fans are far less expensive to run, both in the amount of electricity used and the cost of your bill! I have a window fan that is nice and quiet right next to my desk, and it can do wonders for cooling down a room housing a computer and two monitors. Unless it pushes above 80 outside, I can be very comfortable with just the fan, so you can, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment