Wednesday, June 6, 2012


This is what you saw yesterday if you had viewing equipment for the transit. I didn't get to see it this near to sunset, but was able to clearly see the small dot of Venus imposed on the sun's disk. It was a memorable event that admittedly pales in comparison with our entertainment options, but thinking about the forces and speeds and size involved does give you a bit more appreciation of the event, I think.

The last time a transit happened, the Brooklyn Bridge was still under construction (I'm ignoring 2004 here, as it happens in cycles and I missed it then!). If you got to share this event with your family the way I did, you know how special a seemingly simple thing like this can be to our mundane lives spinning by on this tiny blue globe.

No comments:

Post a Comment